St. Albert’s College and the Department of English owes its origin to the farsightedness and vision of its Founder Patron, Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Attipetty, the first Indian Archbishop of Verapoly. Greatly concerned about the lack of educational facilities for the members of his diocese, His Grace ventured upon the mission of starting a college at Ernakulam,then capital of the former state of Cochin. His efforts bore fruit in 1946 when the University of Madras accorded sanction to His Grace for starting a Second-Grade College. The college began functioning on 16th July, 1946, in the old St. Albert’s High School building, with the motto “for truth and service”, as depicted in the coat of arms, with 150 students in the first year intermediate class.The B.A. Degree program was started in the year 2000 and was upgraded to a postgraduate department in the year 2005.The department is now headed by Dr.Leslie Thomas.