The Department of Botany, St. Albert’s College, Ernakulam was established in 1947 with a Degree course under Kerala University, Thiruvananthapuram. During 1964 Post Graduate Degree course on Botany was started. Later, during 2007 the Department was recognized as a Research Centre under Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. Currently the department offers course in B.Sc. Botany and Post Graduate Course in M.Sc. Botany with specialization in Plant Biotechnology. The department also offers research programme in Botany under Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. The department has seven full time faculty members with diverse research interests such as Phycology, Mycology, Lichenology, Pteridology, Ecology, Molecular Biology, Physiology, Biochemistry and Plant Biotechnology. Dr. L. Jose; Dr. J. Jameson and Dr. K. Madusudhanan are research guides under Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. Currently there are four students pursuing their Ph.D work under these faculty members.
The Department is equipped with several sophisticated instruments and has four well-established labs such as B.Sc. Lab, M.Sc. Lab, Tissue Culture Lab and Research Lab.
Dr. L. Jose, Dr. J. Jameson and Ms. Drishya Raghuvaran are the members of PG exam board and Mr. Siju M. Varghese and Dr. K. Madhusudhanan are the members of degree exam board in Botany of Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.