St. Albert’s College, Ernakulam is an offshoot of St. Albert’s High School, which was established in 1892 by His Grace The Most Rev. Dr. Leonardo Mellano, Archbishop of Verapoly. The School was upgraded to a 2nd Grade College in 1946 affiliated to University of Madras. Thus the Institution is having more than a century old tradition of building up students of the communities with a special focus on the less-privileged ones.
St. Albert’s College has a history of 70 years of selfless service in the field of higher education and has been producing committed dynamic leaders for society. The campus is situated in the heart of the Kochi city, the ‘business capital’ of Kerala. The College is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University and is functioning under the management of the Archdiocese of Verapoly. When it was started in 1946, the college was affiliated to the University of Madras. In 1958, when the Kerala University Act came into force, the affiliation was shifted to Kerala University and subsequently, in 1983 when the Mahatma Gandhi University was established, the College came under The Mahatma Gandhi University. The College comes under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act. In 2009, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) awarded A grade to the College, in the re-accreditation process. The Peer Team has observed, ‘obtaining autonomy’ as one of the Institutional Opportunities. The college received ISO 9001: 2008 certifications in 2010 after the audit conducted by TÜV Rheinland and surveillance are conducted every year. The College has been selected for the award of ‘Star College Status’ by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India in 2013. The College is a backward minority educational institution covered under article 30 of the constitution of India.
The college is run by the Archdiocese of Verapoly. The Archdiocese of Verapoly has its origin in 1657 with the arrival of Carmelite Missionaries to Kerala. It was an era where the right to education was only for the elite. These selfless missionaries opened the vista of knowledge to all, irrespective of caste, creed and colour. They were great visionaries and had proved themselves well-intentioned in the field of education by establishing schools at various parts of the state. Their Indian successors followed their footprints whole-heartedly and nurtured the field of education par excellence.
St. Albert’s college owes its origin to the foresight and sagacity of its Founder Patron, Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Attipetty, the first Indian Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Verapoly. A noble prelate of rare vision and saintliness, His Grace was concerned about the lack of educational facilities in the state. It was with a view to promote higher education among the backward section of the society that His Grace ventured upon the onerous mission of starting a college. From the humble beginning with a few educational and charitable institutions, the Archdiocese now runs a large number of educational, health and social-welfare Institutions. The Archdiocese occupies a prominent position in the social and educational development of the state and continues its mission based on the Biblical verse, “Each one should use whatever gift they have received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms”.
Since the first accreditation, conducted in 2003 in which the college was awarded B++ grade, the college has been constantly marching towards higher echelons in the field of higher education. The reaccreditation in 2009 placed the College in A Grade. The college was awarded ISO 9001:2008 certification in 2010.
During the past decade several courses were introduced. Three new PG programs were started – MBA, MA English, and M. Sc. Space Science and Technology. The M. Sc. Space Science and Technology Course was started under the innovative program of UGC and curriculum and syllabus for the course was prepared by our faculty in collaboration with ISRO experts. The college has also designed and developed curricula and syllabi for PG programs like Master of Financial Administration (MFA), Forensic Science, and Biochemistry. Recently government sanction has been obtained for starting MA Economics course. As an affiliated college, the institution is following university curriculum. Many of our faculty members are members of Board of Studies of the University and they actively participated in the curriculum revision performed during 2006, 2009 and 2010.
The college is conducting seventeen undergraduate courses, twelve postgraduate courses and research programs in six disciplines. The College has adequate infrastructural facilities like class rooms, laboratories, library, Seminar hall, Auditorium, play grounds, sophisticated laboratory equipment etc. The management is keen in augmenting and maintaining infrastructure facilities.
The College coordinates a lot of community oriented extension activities. Such activities are carried out under the leadership of NCC and NSS students. The aquaculture department in association with the Conservation Research Group, and NGO, initiated several environment protection and conservation activities. The College was a trainer partner for the ‘Additional Skill Acquisition Program’ of the State Government.
The College has been selected among the top ten Commerce departments in the southern region, according to India today rating in 2011. The college has very strong Alumni, ready to extend any sort of help to the College.
Years have gone by. Long strides have been taken by the college in its development. Today under the patronage of His Grace The Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Kalathiparambil, St.Albert’s College (Autonomous) is a front runner First Grade College functioning under the Mahatma Gandhi University.